Americans are known for their loud and confident displays of patriotism, but in a year like no other – they’ve had to get creative in celebrating Independence Day.
Normally, the fourth of July is a time to celebrate with friends and family, have a picnic or BBQ, and then enjoy the ostentatious displays of fireworks. Even here in Kyiv, the American House usually does their part.
Not this year.
This year, there will be no organised picnics, no concerts starring budding American expat musicians, and no over-the-top fireworks show.
Instead, Americans are turning to social media to celebrate America’s 244th birthday. From Independence Day-themed Zoom socials, to a discussion of Independence Day shenanigans at the American House from the past, to live streaming of fireworks shows in the USA, our American friends are finding new and engaging ways to celebrate.
Here are a few you might want to check out:
- ‘Salute to Our Heroes’ concert by the Boston Pops symphony, featuring Melissa Etheridge, Queen Latifah, and Leslie Odom Jr. (Tonight at 3am Kyiv time on the Boston Pops website)
- ‘Let Freedom Sing’ country & western concert, featuring Keb’ Mo’, Lilly Hiatt, and Tenille Townes (Tonight at 4am Kyiv time on Newschannel5.com)
- Discover the history of American Independence through the smash Broadway sensation ‘Hamilton’ (On demand on Disney Plus)
- Learn about How Americans celebrate in Kyiv with a discussion of past Independence Day parties at the America House (Available on the America House Facebook page)
- Take a virtual visit of America’s most popular National Parks, including Yellowstone, where you can even check out when Old Faithful will erupt next
- Meet the Founding Fathers yourself with the ‘July 4th with the National Archives’ initiative, where you can speak to Dorothy & John Hancock, Abigail Adams, or even Thomas Jefferson himself! Stick around for the reading of the Declaration of Independence. (Tonight from 6pm to midnight Kyiv team on the National Archives website. Be sure to register beforehand!)
- Macy’s ‘Fourth of July Fireworks’ show (Tonight at 3am Kyiv time on NBC)
However you decide to celebrate – What’s On Kyiv wishes our American friends a happy and memorable Independence Day!